Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Steps to Paraphrasing
To paraphrase, follow the steps below:
- Read the original text until you grasp its meaning; then set it aside.
- Using your memory, write down the main points or concepts. Do not copy the text verbatim.
- Change the structure of the text by varying the opening, changing the order of sentences, lengthening or shortening sentences, etc.
- Replace keywords within the sentences with synonyms or phrases with similar meanings.
- Check your notes against the original to ensure you have not accidentally plagiarized.
To avoid plagiarizing when paraphrasing, you must change both the sentence structure and the words of the original text, and cite the source.
Avoid Plagiarism by Paraphrasing
Posted with permission from Emily Nimsakont.