Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
MANAGING YOUR REFERENCES
You can easily manage your bibliographies by using a Bibliographic Management Software.
Bibliographic Management Software helps you to:
- manage your bibliographic references by entering manually or importing your references from online sources
- generate bibliographies or lists of references in the desired format
- insert citations into a paper consistently and easily
The MSL has EndNote version x9 installed on computers in the library.
CITATION AND REFERENCING
The Vancouver style is the recommended style of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, (exception of the UWI School of Nursing and, Psychiatry students). It is an author-number referencing style commonly used in medicine and science, and consists of:
- in-text citations indicated by the use of a number
- a sequentially numbered reference list at the end of the document providing full details of the corresponding in-text references
It follows rules established by the International committee of Medical Journal Editors, now maintained by the U.S. National Library of Medicine. It is also known as Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts submitted to Biomedical Journals.
The APA style is used by the School of Nursing. It is an "author-date" referencing style and consists of: