Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Suggested Library tutorials
Find scholarly journal articles
Tell the difference between trade and peer reviewed journals.
Use a bibliography to find further sources
Evaluate a website using the CRAAP test.
Standard 3 - Performance Indicators
The information literate student evaluates information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into his or her knowledge base and value system.
- The information literate student summarizes the main ideas to be extracted from the information gathered.
- The information literate student articulates and applies initial criteria for evaluating both the information and its sources.
- The information literate student synthesizes main ideas to construct new concepts.
- The information literate student compares new knowledge with prior knowledge to determine the value added, contradictions, or other unique characteristics of the information.
- The information literate student determines whether the new knowledge has an impact on the individual’s value system and takes steps to reconcile differences.
- The information literate student validates understanding and interpretation of the information through discourse with other individuals, subject-area experts, and/or practitioners.
- The information literate student determines whether the initial query should be revised.
The CRAAP Test
Use the CRAAP test to evaluate your sources!
Developed at Meriam Library California State University, Chico. The CRAAP test is a list of questions one should ask when doing research.
Currency > : > The timeliness of the information.
Relevance > : > The importance of the information for your needs
Authority > : > The source of the information
Accuracy > : > The reliability, truthfulness and correctness of the content
Purpose > : > The reason the information exists
Evaluating Information – Applying the CRAAP Test
Meriam Library, California State University, Chico