In your reading of the literature, the following processes should be followed:
1. Identify the significance of the text
- What is the author saying about the topic?
- What are the main findings of the research?
- What is the quality of the evidence presented?
- Was the piece written in response to other research?
- Is it a new piece of research?
2. Assess the evidence
- Are the conclusions appropriate to the research question?
- Are all points logically developed and relevant to the findings?
- Does the methodology support the conclusions?
- Does the researcher account satisfactorily for results that are different to those obtained by others?
- What are the strengths of the research?
- What are the weaknesses of the research?
- What assumptions do the author make?
- Do you agree or disagree with these assumptions?